After being incarcerated and receiving a passport for the first time in over 20 years, Lester Young decided to take his first international trip outside of America and travel to Ghana.
What started as a journey to learning about his history and culture eventually became a larger mission to bring awareness to the challenges African Americans face when it comes to incarceration, past trauma, and rehabilitation.
This week, Lester Young, renowned author, and Re-Entry Expert Coach, is back to talk about his experience in his motherland, what he learned, and how he plans to use this information to support others through his organization, Path2Redemption.
- How getting a passport transformed his life and why he chose Ghana as his first trip
- What he learned about his ancestors before they were enslaved
- How he experienced Ghanaian culture and some of its daily traditions
- The powerful connection he made with his ancestral history and family lineage
- And a lot more!
- Episode 21 – From Prison to a Path 2 Redemption with Lester Young
- Episode 14 – A Conversation On Global Decision-Making with Sami Chowdhury
Connect with Lester Young:
Connect with Brent Mekosh:
About Our Guest:
Lester Young Jr. is a native of Hilton Head Island, SC. At the age of 19, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole until 20 years had been served. Entering prison without the proper education was Lester’s biggest struggle. With the support of family and friends, he was able to obtain his G.E.D. and then later enroll in a Business Management Course (via mail) as a student of Ashworth College.
Lester began drawing attention from prison chaplains, correctional officers, as well as wardens for the interest he expressed in NOT only educating himself but encouraging others to educate themselves as well.
With permission for the warden, Lester began meeting with Chaplain Gerald Potoka to create templates, course outlines, programs, and classes to instruct and mentor those incarcerated along with him. This is where the idea of “Path2Redemption” was born.